The Poetry and Prose Page - on 'The Beckoning'
Revised 17 February 2019
Below my poem entitled 'The Beckoning', (which this web site is named after), you will find a list of the poets whose works are found here on 'The Beckoning' Poetry Page. ENJOY!
by the circle of the seven,
move closer to us.
They call to me.
They are colored of the raven
but do not shimmer thus.
The tight hooded figures, changeless,
sit cross-legged, knee to knee,
backs ever so slightly hunched.
Directional stares are bunched
and piled up in a heap,
all eyes the center, though faceless.
They call to me.
I sit on the outside looking in
with a countenance dark, as sin.
The circle bigger 'round
I'm on the inside looking down.
They called to me,
to join the circle of silence.
Now my knees join their knees,
eyes become filled at the touch.
We eight, we do suffer much.
The passersby don't see
that with sorrow steeped in timelessness,
they beckoned me.
You who look at us
steer towards safer havens,
not knowing, we call to thee.
You move swiftly by our crux,
not hearing, by gift of heaven,
written 20 December 1994
Inspired by untitled work (1987) by Dominique Blain
on display at the L.A. County Museum of Modern Art
- Poetry and Prose by Brian Jones - My own poetry and other writings.
Revised 21 January 2017
- Poetry by:
- William Butler Yeats- One of the greatest poets in history! Revised 20 February 2012
- Ted Hughes - Poems from Crow and Wolfwatching, great stuff! Revised 7 October 2006
- John Donne - A wonderful, somewhat twisted 17 th. Century poet. Interpretation of 'The Good-Morrow' added 10 October 1998.
- Sheldon White - A man with interesting twists on the mundane
- Bruce Weigl - Bought a book of his on a hunch and a whim, then read on with amazement at his brilliant imagery and powerful tales
- Wystan Hugh Auden (1907-1973) - A truly artful weaver of verse.
- Rainer Maria Rilke - A thought-provoking poet. Revised 17 February 2019.
- Hermann Hesse - My first experience with Hermann Hesse was through his novel entitled 'Demian'. I instantly fell in love with his writting, and was delighted to discover a book of his poetry. As I expected, it is wonderful! Added 13 March 1997
- The Poetry Post Page - This page is where I post the poetry of people who have found my site and wish to display their own poetry. Check it out, there is some good work there! Revised 26 January 2017
- Poetry and Prose by Miscellaneous Authors - On this page, I have placed poems and prose that have moved or intrigued me. Revised 20 February 2012
POETRY AND WRITING LINKS
Revised 19 April 2013