Poetry of Rainer Maria Rilke
Added 13 April 2001, Revised 3 January 2018
A number of years ago, I put Rilke's "The Panther" on my web site. Since then, I have received many messages about the poem. Many people have shared their interpretations of "The Panther" with me. Many of those interpretations are presented on this site. Since the poem was originally written in German, I have also included alternate interpretations of the poem. Most recently, I have started adding additional poetry by Rilke on the site.
THE POETRY OF RAINER MARIA RILKE:
- The Panther This one is my favorite translations. This page also includes my interpretation of the poem, and a wonderful illustration drawn by Klaus J. Peter. Revised 1 February 2006
- The Panther Interpretations of "The Panther" sent to me by people who have been inspired by the poem. Revised 20 February 2012
- The Panther Alternate translations of "The Panther". Revised 3 January 2018
- Der Panther "The Panther" in original German. Added 13 April 2001.
- Autumn Day (Herbsttag) This is a poem by Rilke first shared with me by Guntram Deichsel. Revised 3 January 2018
- Blue Hydrangea The poem Blue Hydrangea (Blaue Hortensie) in original German, and some translations, thanks to Guntram Deichsel. Revised 2 July 2015 with a new translation
- Persian Heliotrope The poem Persian Heliotrope (Persisches Heliotrop) translated by Guntram Deischsel and Jack Lohrman, as well as in original German. Added 14 May 2005
- Fall (Herbst) Translations by Guntram Deichsel and others along with the poem in original German. Added 28 January 2008, Revised 19 February 2012
- from The Book of Hours Translations by Guntram Deichsel and others along with the poem in original German. Added 20 February 2012